To midi or not to midi? Regardless of length, the colours are spot on!
As the shops tease poor souls like myself with brand new shop windows in anticipation to the new season, I have been making a wish list of items I think will be key in my wardrobe for the Autumn.
I have quickly warmed to the colours I have seen around and I am looking out for mustard, navy, cobalt and petrol blues, grey, rich golden beige, tan, burgundy, and jewel tones. Very pleased that colours will seep into the new season, and I look forward to explore palettes I haven’t before (like navy blue, weirdly). It also makes a great change from the usual mostly dark wear for the colder months.
From the wish list below, I have already bought a few but most are yet to be purchased, I am keeping an eye out for them – watch this space!
1. Midi length skirts – still not sure how I will fare on one, as I am quite short and the midi has always been a no-no (as far as my mirror tells me), but it really looks like midi will be the only length for the coming season, I may have to embrace. Almost bought this cutie one from River Island, fell in love with the pattern, but sadly, after all the garments on my size were defective, I’ve gone off it a bit. I am officially on midi skirts watch.
2. A navy blue blazer – I am a big blazer fan (even though in the office they always ask me why I look so smart), and I have put an order in for a lovely one from H&M (have to say, their A/W collections is very nice!)
3. A checked jacket - it’s cute, exhales some countryside Englishness and can have a mix of all the colours I am into at the moment. H&M, once again, has a cute one for a unmissable £19.99!
4. A tailored coat that has feminine details – this one from H&M is pretty much what I want, as design goes, but doesn’t really seem that warm. I suppose I have to touch it, try it on and see, so I placed an order (not due until mid August).
5. Dresses – a mustard lace one, bought for a steal in Primark (£17), a burgundy, a cobalt blue and a purple-ish, still to be found!
6. Tan loafer heels – I bought some cheap ones from New Look, 10cm chunky heels, very Maggie Thatcher! Turned out to be a good fit, sizing is spot on and they are quite comfortable, as they are very square, so no squashed toes!
7. Flat tan leather boots – for the daily grind. Have my eyes on one from very.co.uk, the Love Label Dustin riding boots, a true staple. At the moment, site says it ships in five weeks, so might wait a bit to order.
8. Statement earrings – yes, they are back. I remember when I was about 16 and these massive, heavy American Indian heads, dangling with all sorts – metal feathers, beads, the kitchen sink, you name it – were all the rage. I love big earrings.
9. Statement rings – in the new season colours – don’t think I need to elaborate on this one, this post says it all.
10. A choker – I haven’t been big on necklaces lately, but want to jump on the choker bandwagon, my mum has always been a big fan. Not sure if I want a very flamboyant or a more demure one. Might love it so much and end up buying several.
11. Emerald green heels – tried to bag a super bargain from Zara, but that proved to be a fiasco. Instead, went for the highly affordable Topshop Glam court shoes, in green suede, for £46.
12. Mustard and navy blue tights - tights tights tights, I really love tights. I remember when I arrived in England, I felt so cold, but so cold that I couldn’t even bear the thought of wearing tights in the winter (I used to wear four layers: 2 tights, leggings and jeans, 2 socks!). Nine years on, I don’t think I’ve worn trousers for the past two winters!
As we say goodbye to short sleeves and bare legs, I am sure more tendencies will catch my eye – I will be posting them avidly – but I think these are certainly a great flavour of what is yet to come, and will help me step into the new season in style!